Everyone needs a set of tools that can be pulled out when life gets tough. This could be situations such as struggling to make ends meet, stressful work environment, going through a divorce, losing a loved one or living with physical or psychological pain. Being resilient makes it easier to effectively cope with life’s challenges.
Resilience is the ability to:
- Adapt to changes and perform under pressure
- Bounce back after stressful and/or life changing situations
- Maintain a positive and realistic view of life even in challenging situations
- Address problems rather than avoiding them
- Utilise flexible coping strategies and adapt our behaviour to the situation at hand
By learning strategies and doing exercises to build resilience you will become more robust, thus increasing your ability to cope with current and future stress.